- Put the milk in a pan with the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns and bring slowly to the boil then reduce to a simmer and add the haddock and poach gently for 10 minutes. Remove the fish and flake and strain the infused milk into a jug.
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan and add the flour and cook for a minute until it smells nutty. Gradually add the reserved poaching liquid until you have a thick smooth sauce.
- Beat the egg yolks with the cream and gradually add the sauce into the egg yolks, stirring. Season with black pepper and add the chives. Add the haddock and half the cheese.
- Heat the grill to a high heat.
- Beat the egg white to soft peaks with an electric hand whisk and fold into the sauce carefully.
- Heat the rest of the butter in a 23 cm non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat and when foaming add your omelette mixture and tip to coat the bottom of the pan. As soon as it starts to set, sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and then pop under the grill to brown the top for a minute then serve with lots of hot buttered toast.