- Mix the soy sauce, mirin and sugar together with grated ginger in a dish. Add the cod and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Take the core out of the cucumber, slice it into half moons and put them into a dish. Heat the rice vinegar and water with the spices until it's almost boiling, then pour over the cucumber and leave to marinate.
- Rinse the rice and put in a pan with plenty of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes then drain and cover to steam dry.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium high heat. Remove the fish from the marinade and fry for 2-3 minutes until dark and sticky on the bottom, flip over, pour in the marinade and continue to cook until the sauce is sticky and the fish cooked.
- Serve the fish on a bed of rice with the pickled cucumber on the side.