This recipe features Norwegian salted cod (also known as clippfish or bacalao) for the Christmas Eve Virgil, Feast of the Seven Fishes. In Italian it is called La Vigilia, Festa dei Sette Pesci.
Soaking Norwegian Salt Cod
- When using Norwegian Salted Cod (Clippfish/Bacalao), you have to soak it for 24/36 hours before cooking with it. Place the fish in cold water, and change the water every 12 hours
Preparing the dish
- Remove the Norwegian Salt Cod from the water. Pat dry and sear each side for 1 minute over medium heat in 4oz of olive oil in a large sided sauce pan. Remove from pan when seared.
- Slice the onion into thin half moons, and mince the garlic. Add to the pan and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Hand crush the canned cherry tomatoes.
- Place the seared salt cod back in the pan with the onions, and add the tomatoes, raisins, bay leaf, basil and black pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve in a deep dish, and if you want you can add some fresh hurbs on top as a finishing touch.